Abdi Abdirahman knows how to run for a long time. He’s the only American distance runner to have qualified for 5 Olympics, 3 Games at 10000m and 2 at the marathon distance. He’ll be running the marathon at Tokyo 2020, so we and Book Club Claire talked with him about how both of these races work and what’s up with the controversial Nike Vaporfly road shoes.
Abdi has also written a book about his life and his approach to running. Abdi’s World: The Black Cactus on Life, Running, and Fun will be out in August, and you can pre-order your copy here.
Follow Abdi on Insta!
What are our TKFLASTANIs up to this week? We’ve got news from:
- Hammer thrower DeAnna Price
- Decathlete Jordan Gray
- Water polo Olympian Tony Azevedo
- Runner/Chaplain Madeline Mims
- Olympian/Film Producer John MacLeod
In Tokyo 2020 news:
- We’ve got new information about the International Olympic Committee’s protest ban.
- The Tokyo Organizing Committee has also backpedaled from its initial decision to ban athletes’ children who are breastfeeding.
- Columbia’s bit hit by a doping penalty (guess which sport).
- The Japanese postal service has found an ingenious way to commemorate Team Japan’s gold medal performances at these Olympics.
- The torch is making its way to Tokyo prefecture — but not to the crowds.
- The International Paralympic Committee has named its refugee team.
Thanks so much for listening, and until next time, keep the flame alive!
Photo: Team USA